Wednesday, March 13, 2013

LIVING: GONE VEG.

To my Dad, who supports me but would totally tell this joke.
I have conflicting views with labels. On one hand it's really nice to have a blanket generalization covering you and keeping your feet warm - that is, if it's a label that you wholeheartedly agree with or feel like you represent. On the other...labels and generalizations have quite a lot of backlash in terms of expectations and histories that have nothing to do with you. Most of the time, my views or "labels" are complicated because I'm a human and one-size-fits-all is a lie.
All this to say, I've become a vegetarian over the past few months. A vegetarian-ish. A pesca-tarian? I person who chooses not to eat chickens, pigs, or cows. Or deer or rabbit or lamb. I eat fish occasionally, but unless I am with someone who does not know of my veggie lifestyle, I have chosen to stop eating meat, which has felt like the easiest and most thought-provoking lifestyle decision I have made in recent years. Let me explain:
Southern Hospitality Vegetarian: I was raised by parents who taught me the importance of being a good guest. Don't complain or pick. Eat what they give you and show that you have manners. I'm very thankful for these lessons, because I believe they have shaped me to always be gracious in different environments. However, deciding that meat isn't my thing means that I feel like a picky person or that I'm imposing my beliefs on others when I generally am the least picky person I know. But after two months of choosing not to eat meat, my conscience has become a little more involved than I expected. So, if you don't know that I don't eat meat or forget, I'll eat what you serve me, because hospitality is good and I don't want to make things awkward for us while dining.
Christianity and Vegetarianism: I was watching a documentary (one of the many that helped me decide to make active choices to deny meat) about being vegan. I am not a vegan. I'm actually staring at my new leather purse that I really love and cheese is one of my favorite foods. However, the movie got me thinking about God's original design for mankind's eating habits, especially when they interviewed a Christian who said that a vegan lifestyle mirrors life before the Fall. I thought that sounded pretty spot on, though I know people who would debate me on that notion. Here's the thing: when reading from the New Testament, Christians are allowed to eat whatever they want, as long as it does not violate their conscience (1 Corinthians 8). So, while I think (at least right now, anyway) that being a vegetarian feels a bit more moral, it's really not in terms of Christian spirituality or Jesus's view of his people. I'm not ever going to preach the gospel of fruits and vegetables in terms of it being a more moral choice - though I may share that it is healthier.
The Animals: This is the bit that I haven't shared with many people in my life, because to be honest, they haven't asked. When I started telling people one by one that I have stopped eating meat, they pretty much accepted it and just asked what kind of foods I do eat. I think it's not that radical of a choice anymore. It's become more commonplace and the health benefits are more widely known. I know being a vegan would be a more staunch stand on animal rights, but I'm not there yet. Maybe one day I will be, but not right now. I've know how bad the food industry is since my freshman year at college, yet I never made any decisions regarding this news. I also never really bridged the gap between thinking lambs were darn cute and that I was eating one. I think that "lamb" or "steak" or "burger" is just a word typed out on a label to most Americans. We know it's meat, but we don't visualize an animal. Our food has been so far removed from us. Now, I'm all for owning a farm and taking Bessie (because you named her Bessie and she has been hanging out with you for a few years now) to the local slaughter house. Why? Because Bessie wasn't #74689. Bessie didn't spend her entire life being injected with hormones or tied up in a metal prison forced to unnaturally produce milk day in and day out before being slaughtered. There is a difference. Also, I live in America and I have the luxury of being able to make decisions about my food. I don't place any judgement on any. single. person. for eating the way they do. However, in recent months, I remembered that I quite like Bessie (and I know that God does, too) and maybe I shouldn't eat her when she is being treated unfairly beforehand.
Conclusions: I decided to stop eating meat when I can control my decisions. For me, it is a moral choice - but only for me. While I do think that my faith and circumstances are supporters of my choices,  I will not use Christianity or my personal views to spread vegetarianism, especially if I'm not entirely sure that is what I have become. I haven't made a lifetime commitment; however, I'm currently liking my shrinking waistline and trying new vegetables. I like thinking that the meals I do control are a little more cruelty-free. And since I'm Southern, if you fix me a chicken pot pie, I will eat it, though maybe sheepishly tell you one day later that I'm not really much of a meat eater, anymore.

Here are few Netflix documentaries that have helped in my decision making:
Vegucated
Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead
Ted Talks: Chew on This
Food Matters
Forks Over Knives

No comments:

Post a Comment