Friday, July 19, 2013

INSPIRATION: LEILANI JOY

"Odette & Odile" Acrylic and Collage on Woods, 2010 by Leilani Joy
Sometimes inspiration comes at unexpected times by unexpected people. Lately, I've been uninspired, especially when it comes to painting. I have had little desire to paint and the one time that I sat down to work on a piece, it was difficult, underwhelming, and just...not right. And I didn't have enough energy to try and make it better. Since then, I've pulled out my Prismacolors and began doing some light sketching and drawing. Then when I went on my first vacation in OVER A YEAR, I bought a couple of art magazines to help illicit even more inspiration - though more from that later.



I ran into Leilani Joy earlier this week on YouTube, randomly clicking her video tutorial on Ramona Flowers. First off, I LOVE Ramona Flowers from Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. It's one of my favorite movies, and I love her hair. My Dad even told me one day that my hair reminded him of Ramona Flowers and next to being told that I look like Ariel from the Little Mermaid, that I was one of my favorite compliments ever. I digress.

Anyway, let it be said that I am not an illustrator. Or maybe I am. I think of illustrations as being connected more with media - comic books, video games, cartoons, etc. All of which I love, admire, and have a strong respect. But it's not really my style; however, I'm currently obsessed with Leilani Joy. I've been watching her videos like a mad-woman. She has lots of knowledge regarding technique and her paintings always looks so crisp, clean, and high quality. Any artist can benefit from that kind of information. Plus, she is a full-time artist who sells her work regularly, managing an Etsy shop, alongside making videos of her work. I kind of want to be her.

So, if Leilani Joy ever reads this, thanks for the inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment