Friday, September 21, 2012

SKETCHBOOK: SWEET LADY


Here is something that I have lately discovered: redrawing subjects is very much akin to rereading books. When I reread a book, I see a story differently. I see the devices, the imagery, the character traits, and the intricacies that I missed on the first go around. I think about how the story could be different. How little moments could turn a tale into something extraordinary. And when revisiting a subject, I see the same things. I see different elements. I see what a work could have been with a different set of choices. I get to be sharper and more detailed in loose places and loose and experimental in those detailed areas.

But the amazing thing about redrawing or repainting is that you can make those changes. You can recreate something that often times seems fixed. You can see what was once unseen right before your eyes. And you can fall in love again with something sweet or possibly sweeter.


No comments:

Post a Comment