Tuesday, February 26, 2013

READS: ANNE LAMOTT



One of my favorite books is Donald Miller's Blue Like Jazz. I responded with his honesty, his humor, and his thoughts on the beautiful complexities of faith. The book holds a special place in my heart; the jury is still out on the movie.

He mentions his love for Lamott in the book, talks about running his fingers through her dreads. And that was the first time I heard about this wonderful author. My personal challenge for 2013 was to read more non-fiction than fiction during the year. I can't get rid of my love for a good story, and Annie helped me keep my resolution and also provided me with the joy of her own story. It's honest, raw, hilarious, sad, and probably not a common read for most Southern Christians. Regardless of whether or not you agree with her theology, I think everyone can benefit from her honesty about living a spiritual life centered on the truths of the gospel, alongside the occasional swear word.

Thanks, Anne. I needed you this month.



No comments:

Post a Comment