Sunday, January 5, 2014

LIVING: RESOLUTIONS.

artwork by Cas Holmes Zeeland Flora #4 via Pintrest
I'm a resolutions girl. Not many people are these days, at least in my immediate circle. I hear many people say that "there is no point" or "I never keep them." One of the things I've heard from many people (that I completely agree with) is the notion that if you are going to change, why wait for a New Year? Change when you feel compelled to change! Why should a special day cause such a stir for list making and deciding to now become who you want to be?

The answer: some of us are dreamers. As I stretch out my figurative legs in my twenties, I'm discovering that the undercurrents of my personality - the things that I have fought against or denied were there - are still who I am. I will always been the little girl who likes to make New Year's resolutions. The idea, the whisper, the possibility of starting fresh sends a peace and also an excitement to my soul because that is the way that I was designed to be. I'm embracing that. So, although I may not keep any of my resolutions, I still make them, because growing and changing is beautiful. Here are a few of my resolutions this year:

1.) Continue to simplify: Buy less, buy intentionally, waste less, donate more. I've heard it said that the more stuff you own, the more stuff owns you.

2.) Read 50 books. I read roughly 30-34 last year, including rereads and audio books. Reading keeps me growing, exploring, and empathizing with the world around me.

3.) Get outside of myself: Think about others more. Do more kind things for others. Think less about myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment