Sunday, January 5, 2014

OPERATION SELF-PORTRAIT: PAINTED FACES


I did this painting a few months back. I can't remember if I was working off of an image or if it was something that popped into my head. If it was an image, it wasn't a picture of me; however, I still feel like this is a self-portrait. Probably because of the hair, but mostly because of the feeling. Thick paint strokes mixed with sketching lines.
 I've drifted away from oil painting the past few months, deciding to focus on colored pencils; however, I still feel that oil has a richness that can't be tamed. Even now, I often become more enchanted by brush strokes than the actual painting. I had been painting for a few months when I went to the Frist Center of Visual Arts in Nashville and discovered this new way of viewing paintings. It was probably the first museum I had visited that had large oil paintings exhibited, and what most amazed me was being able to get so close to the paintings and see the brush strokes an artist used. In my mind, it felt like seeing them lay down the image - to see the artist create. 

No comments:

Post a Comment